Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Living water

I sat by the river this morning watching the current flow down. Despite my inability to catch any of the river's beautiful rainbow trout, I knew the water was teeming with life. My mind wandered to Jesus, who described himself to the woman at the well as living water. 

I asked God this morning to grow my knowledge of Him while I'm here. There's definitely something in the water. It's ever-flowing, moving on. It's full of life - trout and other fish. It sustains so many things around it - the tall trees that line the water's edge, the eagles, the deer and other little creatures who leave their tracks in the mud. It delights and soothes this family who returns over the years to spend a week in its presence.

Do I remember that Jesus is this beautiful, sustaining, living water? Do I live like it's the water that flows through me? Do I find Him truly, deeply refreshing?

Just like beautiful fish hide in this river, Paul tells the church at Colosse that in Jesus are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. The living water Jesus offers is full of life, abundant life, if I choose to drink deeply. Why do I try to find satisfaction in the world's intoxicating, deadly drink?

Father, draw me to the living water. Fill me. Flow through me. Forgive me for seeking satisfaction apart from you. Make me grow sturdy and strong, sustained only by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment