Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Listen to the sound of my voice

"It's not what you say; it's how you say it." Can't tell you how many times I've heard that phrase in my life. Sadly, in our house, it's so true.

There are three of us who could use an Extreme Tone Makeover. Or maybe pride liposuction. I started hearing it in one of our children a while back - the sound of my own voice, Brian's voice. A bit of sarcasm, a strong desire to be right, a driving desire to have the last word. If you're not listening like I think you should, I'll just be quicker to interrupt, firmer in the restating of my opinion.

It's not what the Lord desires for our interactions. Truly, I want my words to be:

  • Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."
  • Colossians 4:6 "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
  • Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
I love Third Day's song, "Sound of your voice." It describes Zeph 3:17, where the Lord sings over us. It what I want our kids, really all who encounter us, to hear - the Lord singing over them.



Singing over me
Bringing mercy and peace
With a song that never ends
Signing over me
Marvelous and holy
Lord, I want to hear your song again



No comments:

Post a Comment