Thursday, August 9, 2012

I forget what He has done.

They forgot what he had done, the amazing things he had shown them. Psalm 78:11

Reflection and remembering. It's something we're called to as believers. But, it seems like - at least in our fast-paced American culture - that instead of remembering, we're always looking forward to the next big thing. Or, looking around at what we don't have.

I started on my journey of remembering, of giving thanks, after reading Ann Voscamp's One Thousand Gifts a little more than a year ago. The process of slowing down, writing down my thanks decidedly changed me. But, nearly 2400 "thank yous" later, I find myself feeling stale, struggling to see his abundant goodness in my life.

How is that possible? This great and mighty God, creator of the universe, giver of life and all gifts, stoops to meet my needs every day. How do I lose sight of that? By taking my focus off of him.

I'm challenged to turn to the pages of Scripture, to look at his work in ages past. He mightily saved his people again and again (despite their forgetfulness). He literally parted the sea on their behalf.

I can open my eyes to his creation, shouting his name around me. Job recognized that this magnificent creation is but the "outer fringes of his ways. How faint is the whisper we hear of him!" (Job 26:14) He measures the waters of the earth in the palm of his hand. I can only measure about a teaspoon of salt in mine.

Finally, I need to look back at the journal of thanksgiving in my possession. My story with him over the past year. 

Oh, Father, cause me to see your movement in my life every day. Help me to remember to give thanks. How quickly I forget your mighty works on my behalf. How you sustain me day by day, giving me the capacity to breathe my next breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment